Skip to main content

Ragnar Texas Recap!

4-10-17

Y'all may faintly remember that I did the Texas Ragnar; running from Batrop to Luckenbach with 11 other women in a single van.


Van trip down


We stayed the night in a roach-coach in Bastrop and while I slept like a log, 2 of the girls in our group did not sleep a second. Something about me having to kill roaches in the room really freaks some people out. That 4am wake up call came early.

Our start time was at 5:45am, but naturally we had to be there an hour before hand to get "prepped" and to hear the safety stuff. I was runner #2 *heh*, so I received the slap bracelet (baton) around 6:30am and took off on my first leg. 

Leg 1: 4.20 miles
Actual distance/time: 4.5 miles in 48 minutes (10:38 pace)

It was beautiful and now I wish I'd taken a few photos. I ran as the sun was coming up and through fields of wild flowers. There was mist covering the pastures and scenic bridges and cattle abounding. 
 I was fine with this because I started out running in the dark and had to stop a few times to make sure I didn't get run over!

Photo Op at the Finish Line!

Leg 2: 7.70 miles
Actual distance/time: 7.75 in 1:32 (11:55 pace)

So this was weird. My second leg was supposed to be close to 7 miles, like 6.9 or something, but on race day, it came up as 3.9. We verified with one of the on course directors and they confirmed the distance had been shortened. I switched this leg with another lady who did not want to run 7.7. This run I started at about 8:30pm in the evening and was by far my favorite leg. There were plenty of hills, but I finished the leg by running through downtown Gruene! Right past the dance hall and through the bars/party life of the city. Once again, I wish I had gotten photos, though at that point I was living in the moment and felt like I was flying! 

Leg 3: 3.4 miles
Actual distance/time: 3.51 in 42:33 (12:07 pace)

I started this leg in the dark around 6:30am and ended with another sunrise. This felt way harder than it should have, but getting no sleep and only eating crap will apparently hinder your running prowess.  This was along the side of a highway and it felt like it was ONE BIG HILL. I feel like I hardly ran at all during this leg. But let me tell you. Being done was a huge stinking accomplishment!!


I loved this race. It sounds like it would be difficult to be in such close proximity for so long, but honestly, it was a breeze. we had a great team and everyone got along well. 

The team took care of me and made sure I didn't over do it. They did an awesome job of setting me up for success by allowing me to have runs that were all in the dark, so as to not get over heated. I do wish I had been able to run harder but I know I did what was best for me and Cletus. 

My 2nd leg helped me feel like a real runner again and it proved to me that I CAN still cover distance, even if it's slow and I have to walk. My running abilities haven't been zapped forever.

All our medals placed together.

Now, I haven't run since this race and I'm okay with that. Going without sleep and minimal healthy food took a toll on me. I do plan on getting back out and running at some point and I'm not going to rush it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running and breathing is hard.

3/16/17 Yesterday I did a half day at the hospital, ran a few errands, then met Amy P. for a run. She kept making me laugh so I had to stop and walk, but it was great. I'm amazed at how much more walking I need, but I've heard once you get into the second trimester, your energy comes back. Man am I looking forward to that!! We did 4 miles in 50 minutes (12.5 min mile- *sigh*). The day before that we ran 3 miles and it went by so fast. If I had it my way, we would be walking all of it, but I am so grateful that she is pushing me to work hard! I know Cletus appreciates it. After we finished the run, I took the dogs on a 40 minute walk. I have no clue what happened to them but they were TERRIBLE. It was foreshadowing for the rest of the evening, honestly. Raz wasn't home and we have a guy staying in our rental. I believe those two things were enough to cause Thor to loose his shiiiiit. He really responds better to Raz than me. Jay is always excitable but listens to me mo

May?!

5-1-17 Holy guacamole, it's May!! How is this possible. Baby Update: Tomorrow will be 18 weeks! Also, I think I felt the baby move this morning! *it felt like gas, but very different* I'm still fitting into nearly everything I own but prefer to wear good ole' elastic when I can! Workout Update: I counted in my planner 18 days out of 30 in April, that I worked out. Many of the workouts were way less strenuous than I would have counted before, such as playing 9 holes of golf, taking a lunch time walk, etc. Overall I am pleased with how much I did, especially when I felt sluggish most of the time. This month I want to increase how many times a week I do weights (at least 2 for starts!!). I'd also like to swim about 2x a week. The extra day needs to be cardio! In random news, I'm playing with the idea of starting a sensory necklace/jewlery/toys online shop. I would sell chewy necklaces to mothers with teething babies, pacifier chains, chewy toys and

"Rest" Day.

11-12-16 Tomorrow afternoon is the Trinity River Half Marathon. Neat concept. it starts at 4pm and runs along the Trinity River. Unfortunately it's in Dallas, but that will lend itself to a change in scenery, which I appreciate. We always run along the Trinity here in Fort Worth and I feel we know every step of about 5-10 miles in either direction of our meeting place. In theory that could have been an advantage. Ah well. The shirts look cool! I will likely never wear it though... I need races to bring back cotton shirts- they keep giving out technical shirts which I mostly find gross. I digress. Today is supposed to be a rest day so I can kick butt tomorrow. Which basically means all I want to do is swim/walk/workout. Rest days are hard. I guess I'll work on mobility- foam rolling and stretching. I just gotta get my act together and make sure the clothes/gummies and whatnot are available. Oh and Thor ate my Big Bertha water bottle. My little handheld bottle rains on me, th