Skip to main content

Things done and things to do

1-7-17

I'm back! Hi! Okay, so I've been busy LIVING life and haven't had hardly a second to DOCUMENT it. I'm pumped about that.

Things I've done Include:

1. I swam a mile! 
A whole freakin' mile!! That's 33 lengths in a 25 meter pool. 33x55=1650meters which = 1.02mile! Huzzah! Me! I swam a MILE. This was/is a relevant and exciting event for me because I have a very distinct memory of being in college and an amazing, Trinidadian, former Marine, jacked, personal trainer, doctoral student friend of mine (can you tell I think highly of him?) was swimming laps in the outdoor pool. When he paused I asked him how far he had gone and he said 3 miles. Dude. He had already swam 3 miles and wasn't stopping. He said one day he would like to swim around Manhattan. (I think. If that's geographically wrong or impossible, don't feel the need to correct me.) I for sure couldn't swim then and remember thinking that swimming even a SINGLE mile would be cause for celebration!

2. Did a shitty outdoor bike ride!
Holy crappola. When I left the house it was about 52 degrees or so and I wore capri pants, a tank top and a light running jacket. Thankfully at the last minute I grabbed an ear warmer. The reason this because a shitty bike ride was two fold. First, the temperature dropped about 10 degrees during my ride, which allowed me to activate a super power of mine: snot production! For real, my eyes were watering, my nose was running, and the wind was so cold, it was taking my breath away. By the end of my ride, my jacket looked stripped from all the fluids I had wiped off on it. The second reason it sucked was that I never got my heart rate up. I'm really struggling to get my heart rate moving when I'm outside on the bike. When indoors and on a trainer, I'm great.

3. ZYN22.
Do y'all have this? Zen 22, is *I thought* a spin class place. But one with a lot of hype, like OrangeCycle or SoulCycle. Now that I look at what I wrote, I'm not sure OrangeCycle is a thing. I may be thinking of orangesicle (dreamsicles). But I digress.
I was supposed to go running with Amy P. but the temperature was dropping aggressively and I knew I would wimp out. When I signed up for the cycle class it was below freezing and I knew it wasn't going to get better. A quick phone call and Amy was signed up too. I'd never been to one of these, but  FB seemed to really enjoy it.
When we got inside they gave us cycle shoes (if you've never walked in them, it was like wearing uneven platform shoes) and showed us around. Once we got settled and entered the studio, our next challenge was figuring out how to clip our shoes in. Unfortunately I clipped on foot in before realizing I need to adjust the height of my seat. At that point I couldn't get my foot out, so I adjusted my seat with one foot awkwardly attached to the bike. Hilarity ensued.
The instructor of the class got up and essentially started a spoken word/poetry slam with dubstep music and rave lights. And that was more or less how the entire class went. But y'all. It was hard. Imagine choreography. On a bike. With strobe lights.
Fun though!

Post cycle glisten


4. Need to do race prep.
TOMORROW IS MY FIRST BABY TRI!! OMG y'all it's finally here!!  My wave starts at 9:40am and I'm #6!
I need to set out my clothes/accessories. Mentally plan out what's going to happen. Map out how long it will take me to get there, etc. I already bought the sweet potato fries that are my pre-race dinner necessity.

5. AirBnB
We bought some furniture off craigslist to start furnishing our extra room to rent. We have a headboard/frame, side table and a mirror. The mirror needs some love, as does a side table we already had in the garage. I like to fix up furniture so I'm looking forward to taking care of it.

6. Dry January
Haven't had anything to drink since New Years. Finally able to follow through with this Dry January hoopla. What's funny is I had actually attributed some of my late evening wackiness to alcohol, now I know, it's just me! Hah.

Just a dane in a hoodie. NBD, y'all.


We still have 2 great danes in the house, which has kept us busy. Oh and last night I mad mac and cheese from scratch! Those two items are in no way related, but came to me at the same time. Also, we had snow yesterday! Snow!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running and breathing is hard.

3/16/17 Yesterday I did a half day at the hospital, ran a few errands, then met Amy P. for a run. She kept making me laugh so I had to stop and walk, but it was great. I'm amazed at how much more walking I need, but I've heard once you get into the second trimester, your energy comes back. Man am I looking forward to that!! We did 4 miles in 50 minutes (12.5 min mile- *sigh*). The day before that we ran 3 miles and it went by so fast. If I had it my way, we would be walking all of it, but I am so grateful that she is pushing me to work hard! I know Cletus appreciates it. After we finished the run, I took the dogs on a 40 minute walk. I have no clue what happened to them but they were TERRIBLE. It was foreshadowing for the rest of the evening, honestly. Raz wasn't home and we have a guy staying in our rental. I believe those two things were enough to cause Thor to loose his shiiiiit. He really responds better to Raz than me. Jay is always excitable but listens to me mo

Swim cap power!

11-11-16 After work I got my back and neck adjusted- about 2 weeks too late honestly. I felt like a new lady! Also scheduled a 30 minute massage for Monday evening, right before we go to MEXICO! Ay ay ay! We got up easy at 4:30am and I was in the pool by 5:35am (obviously had a hard time getting out the door). This was my first time to wear a swim cap! I had to order one for long hair and I still struggled. I'm so dang cool. Mostly I looked like an alien. I didn't wear it for the longest time because I didn't feel like I was 'good enough' to. Does that make sense? Like, people would see me *sleek as a seal* with my swim cap and goggles, but wonder why I was wearing water wingies and drinking all the pool water. The reason I put it on this morning is the pool was empty and I was feeling good. Hilarity ensued. Think Cone Heads. It took a few adjustments to figure out how to put it on but it only came off x1 in the water. I'll call it a win! (I accide

"Rest" Day.

11-12-16 Tomorrow afternoon is the Trinity River Half Marathon. Neat concept. it starts at 4pm and runs along the Trinity River. Unfortunately it's in Dallas, but that will lend itself to a change in scenery, which I appreciate. We always run along the Trinity here in Fort Worth and I feel we know every step of about 5-10 miles in either direction of our meeting place. In theory that could have been an advantage. Ah well. The shirts look cool! I will likely never wear it though... I need races to bring back cotton shirts- they keep giving out technical shirts which I mostly find gross. I digress. Today is supposed to be a rest day so I can kick butt tomorrow. Which basically means all I want to do is swim/walk/workout. Rest days are hard. I guess I'll work on mobility- foam rolling and stretching. I just gotta get my act together and make sure the clothes/gummies and whatnot are available. Oh and Thor ate my Big Bertha water bottle. My little handheld bottle rains on me, th