Skip to main content

Pain is thy name

12-16-16

Okay so this is actually for yesterdays workout, I was too busy to write it up.

The plan was swimming but I didn't have a solid plan in mind, which is always risky. On my drive to the gym at dark and cold thirty in the morning, I decided to go for 800 meters, using only freestyle strokes to help increase my endurance.

I did 200 meters of the 800 warming up (!) with both freestyle and breastrokes pretty easily. The water felt good, my head felt clear.



I started to progress forward, telling myself it was only 600 meters, which is 'only' 12 lengths.

Things felt good, but my quads were tiring out quickly. My guess is that I'm kicking from the knee, which requires more quad usage, than kicking from the hip, which is more core/glute usage. This doesn't surprise me as I'm like everyone else in the world and very quad dominant in most exercises.

Anywhoo, when I hit 500 meters, I realized that every time I get to one of the pool ends, I stop, stand up, turn around and then go back. Not very smooth or seamless and probably killing a lot of time as it adds up. Natural next step- do one of those cool, underwater, forward-roll thingies the professionals do and kick off the wall! Brilliant!



Having zero idea how to do one, I basically rolled forward in the water and took approximately 5 gallons of water up my nose and into my sinuses. Brilliant!

Now, if you've never experienced this, let me educate you. It's hella painful. Like, My head felt a hundred times heavier, my sinuses above and below my eyes felt painful to the touch and very full. I had water coming out of everywhere and it took all I had to just stand up in the pool and try not to let the other swimmers see me decomp.



Holy. Crap. It took several minutes of me standing there to even be able to breathe normal. And of course I was pissed about it. I thought about ending my workout there, even though I 'only' had 300 meters left to go. I was suddenly tired, hurty and in a pissy mood. Great.

Finally I put my big girl floaties on and decided to swim very slowly to the other end. Once I got back into a rhythm I realized I wasn't ready to be done for the day.

All in all, I completed 1000 meters (heeeey!) and was in a much better mood when it was all said and done. My face still hurts (a full 24 hours later) and I'm super hopeful to NOT get a sinus infection.

_______*------*________*------*_______*-------*_________*-------*_________*------*__________

We had our church christmas party last night and in true Jennie fashion, I couldn't figure out what to wear. Seriously, if it's dressier than jeans and a t-shirt, then I can't help you. I finally pulled out an earthy colored sweater dress (with pockets), black leggings, and my (cowgirl) boots. Threw my hair in a bun and ran out the door. In case you were wondering, I was likely the most comfortable person there! For a good while I helped distribute white whine and champaign to other guests, which means I got to talk to a lot of people. Namely, a lady who has already done a triathlon!



She said she was relatively underprepared for the swim but only spent 7 minutes in the water for 300 meters. That was eye opening! Makes me wonder how much effort I'm putting in for a 10 minute swim!

Overall, a really great day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running and breathing is hard.

3/16/17 Yesterday I did a half day at the hospital, ran a few errands, then met Amy P. for a run. She kept making me laugh so I had to stop and walk, but it was great. I'm amazed at how much more walking I need, but I've heard once you get into the second trimester, your energy comes back. Man am I looking forward to that!! We did 4 miles in 50 minutes (12.5 min mile- *sigh*). The day before that we ran 3 miles and it went by so fast. If I had it my way, we would be walking all of it, but I am so grateful that she is pushing me to work hard! I know Cletus appreciates it. After we finished the run, I took the dogs on a 40 minute walk. I have no clue what happened to them but they were TERRIBLE. It was foreshadowing for the rest of the evening, honestly. Raz wasn't home and we have a guy staying in our rental. I believe those two things were enough to cause Thor to loose his shiiiiit. He really responds better to Raz than me. Jay is always excitable but listens to me mo

Swim cap power!

11-11-16 After work I got my back and neck adjusted- about 2 weeks too late honestly. I felt like a new lady! Also scheduled a 30 minute massage for Monday evening, right before we go to MEXICO! Ay ay ay! We got up easy at 4:30am and I was in the pool by 5:35am (obviously had a hard time getting out the door). This was my first time to wear a swim cap! I had to order one for long hair and I still struggled. I'm so dang cool. Mostly I looked like an alien. I didn't wear it for the longest time because I didn't feel like I was 'good enough' to. Does that make sense? Like, people would see me *sleek as a seal* with my swim cap and goggles, but wonder why I was wearing water wingies and drinking all the pool water. The reason I put it on this morning is the pool was empty and I was feeling good. Hilarity ensued. Think Cone Heads. It took a few adjustments to figure out how to put it on but it only came off x1 in the water. I'll call it a win! (I accide

"Rest" Day.

11-12-16 Tomorrow afternoon is the Trinity River Half Marathon. Neat concept. it starts at 4pm and runs along the Trinity River. Unfortunately it's in Dallas, but that will lend itself to a change in scenery, which I appreciate. We always run along the Trinity here in Fort Worth and I feel we know every step of about 5-10 miles in either direction of our meeting place. In theory that could have been an advantage. Ah well. The shirts look cool! I will likely never wear it though... I need races to bring back cotton shirts- they keep giving out technical shirts which I mostly find gross. I digress. Today is supposed to be a rest day so I can kick butt tomorrow. Which basically means all I want to do is swim/walk/workout. Rest days are hard. I guess I'll work on mobility- foam rolling and stretching. I just gotta get my act together and make sure the clothes/gummies and whatnot are available. Oh and Thor ate my Big Bertha water bottle. My little handheld bottle rains on me, th